Monday, April 29, 2013

L.O.V.E.

I never seem to do the lessons, that Brother Taggart gives to us, justice. But, I'm going to try. He just does such an amazing job at explaining scriptures and quotes and I've never been able to understand the scriptures more than when I'm in his class. I never want to leave and I always want to share the lessons with everyone I see. This is my chance to share them and tell you what I got out of it.

Today we learned about love and I seemed to take on a whole new perspective of the commandment "love one another". One of the things my teacher had us do was write song lyrics on the board from love songs. Here's a few song lyrics I found:

Collide by Howie Day "You and I collide."
Wanted by Hunter Hayes "I wanna make you feel wanted."
At Last by Etta Jones "I found a dream that I could speak to. A dream that I can call my own. I found a thrill to to rest my cheek to. A thrill that I have never known."
The Dress Looks Nice On You by Sufjan Stevens "I can see a lot of life in you. I can see a lot of bright in you. And I think the dress looks nice on you. I can see a lot of life in you."
I'd Rather Be With You by Joshua Radin "I need to be bold. Need to jump in the cold water. Need to grow older with a girl like you. Finally see you are naturally. The one to make it so easy. When you show me the truth. Yeah, I'd rather be with you. Say you want the same thing too."
Can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presley "For I can't help falling in love with you."

Love songs are amazing and they are a way to express the feeling of love, but I think these songs sometimes blind us into believing love is something different than what it used to be. This is what I learned from the lesson. "Love is not love without God." If we know God, we love him, and if we love God, we are obedient to him. For we cannot have true obedience if we do not love him. God is Love. He is the basis of everything good feeling and act. One of the greatest gifts that God has given us is the power to love and not just be in love, but to love our neighbors, to love our family, to love the world so much that we do not think of ourselves or the offenses and hurts people have committed toward us. Sin is selfish and taketh away love. Whereas obedience and serving is being selfless and therefore loving others. God loved us enough that he gave up His only Begotten Son. We owe him that much love in return and even more.

L(living)
O(only in)
V(vast selflessness)
E(even as God)



1 comment:

  1. At the root of the word "lovely" is love; surely somewhere along the etymological path, loveliness must have something to do with being worthy of love. This post is lovely. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete