Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A Prayer of Melody (I Need Thee Every Hour)

"We get nearer to the Lord through music than perhaps through any other thing except prayer." - President J. Reuben Clark Jr.

I had a special experience with a hymn a couple of weeks ago. I had been contemplating the decision of serving a mission. I knew it was something that I desired to do, but wasn't exactly sure if it was something I was really meant to do. The question I really had was whether to serve a mission right when I turn 19 in January or wait until June and do a year of college. My mom turned to me one day in sacrament and said to me, "Lauren, as your mother I can receive revelation on your behalf. You are supposed to serve a mission in January, but you need to get that answer on your own." So, I prayed about it. I kept it in my thoughts and I brought it to the temple. I wasn't really anxious to get an answer soon since it's so far away, but I got my answer sooner than I expected and at a time when my question wasn't even currently on my mind. I was playing through some of my hymn arrangements and I started to play a new arrangement of "As Sisters in Zion". I few lines into the song I became overwhelmed with emotion and tears filled my eyes. I wasn't even hearing the lyrics, just the melody to the song, but I knew what God was telling me. I am meant to serve a mission in January and what better way to receive this answer than through music, particularly piano.

Hymns are prayers and they can be answers to prayers. If you have a question, try turning to the hymn book. Read the lyrics or just listen to the melodies. I promise there is a hymn with an answer to your question. I receive so much peace from the hymns, whether I'm just listening to them, singing to them, or playing them on the piano. They are meant to promote peace. They thin the veil. 

This video is of me playing an arrangement of "I Need Thee Every Hour". This is a favorite among many members of the church and the lyrics are an amazing testimony. I love to play this hymn when I want to feel closer to Christ and my Heavenly Father. I truly need them every hour and in every aspect of my life for I know that only through them can I have true joy. I hope you enjoy the video and that you feel closer to them through it.

Lyrics 

  1. 1. I need thee ev'ry hour,
    Most gracious Lord.
    No tender voice like thine
    Can peace afford.
  2. (Chorus)
    I need thee, oh, I need thee;
    Ev'ry hour I need thee!
    Oh, bless me now, my Savior;
    I come to thee!
  3. 2. I need thee ev'ry hour;
    Stay thou nearby.
    Temptations lose their pow'r
    When thou art nigh.
  4. 3. I need thee ev'ry hour,
    In joy or pain.
    Come quickly and abide,
    Or life is vain.
  5. 4. I need thee ev'ry hour,
    Most holy One.
    Oh, make me thine indeed,
    Thou blessed Son!

No comments:

Post a Comment